Giugliano in Campania
|Giugliano in Campania|
|— Comune —|
|Comune di Giugliano in Campania|
|• Mayor||Giovanni Pianese|
|• Total||94 km2 (36.3 sq mi)|
|Population (May 31, 2008)|
|• Density||1,208.6/km2 (3,130.2/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||St. Iulianus|
|Saint day||January 9|
Giugliano in Campania (better known simply as Giugliano) is a city and comune in the province of Napoli, Campania, Italy. As of 2008, it had some 113,000 inhabitants and it is the most populated Italian city not provincial seat. It is part of Naples' metropolitan area.
In 5th-4th century BCE the territory of Giugliano was settled by the Osci. According to a tradition, the city was founded by a group of colonists from Cuma in 421 BCE, who called it Lilianum ("Land of the lilies"). The city remained a small center until 1207, when Cuma was destroyed by the Neapolitans; some of the citizens from that town, including the clergy and the cathedral capitular, took shelter in Giugliano. The first documents mentioning a fief in Giugliano dates from 1270.
- Palazzo Pinelli, built in 1545 by architect Giovanni Francesco di Palma. It had a side tower, which was later demolished.
- Church of Santa Sofia (17th century), designed by Domenico Fontana. It was finished in 1730-1745 by the Neapolitan architect Domenico Antonio Vaccaro. It houses the tomb of Giovan Battista Basile.
- Church of the Annunziata, known from the 16th century. It is home to several canvasses by Neapolitan artists such as Massimo Stanzione and Carlo Sellitto. it has a nave with apse and transept; the pulpit is in Roccoco style, while the rest of the interior is decorated in Baroque style. Notable are also the large wooden organ (late 16th century), the Chapel of Madonna della Pace and early 16th Stories of the Virgin' in the left transept.
- Church of Sant'Anna. Of the original building, existing in the 14th century, the bell tower remains. It houses 16th century paintings by Fabrizio Santafede and Pietro Negroni.
- Church of Madonna delle Grazie, with a 14th century bell tower and a 16th century portal. The interior has a 15th century Gothic Incoronation of the Virgin and early 16th century frescoes.
|This Campanian location article could need some help. You can add your knowledge by expanding it.|
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Giugliano in Campania.
The list of authors can be seen in the page history. The text of this Wikinfo article is available under the GNU Free Documentation License and the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 license.