Error creating thumbnail: Unable to save thumbnail to destinationRomania
|• Mayor||Darius Bogdan Vâlcov (Democratic Liberal Party)|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
The city administers one village, Cireaşov.
The town of Slatina was first mentioned on January 20, 1368 in an official document issued by Vladislav I Vlaicu, Prince of Wallachia. The document stated that merchants from the Transylvanian city of Braşov would not pay customs when passing through Slatina. The word Slatina is of Slavic origin, stemming from Slam-tina, "salted land" or "salty water"; a small minority promotes the theory that the term originates in the Latin "Salatina".
Alro Slatina, the largest aluminum producing factories in Southeastern Europe, is located in the city. Other companies based in Slatina include ALPROM (which, like ALRO, is a subsidiary of VIMETCOGROUP), Altur (engine set manufacturer), Pirelli Tires Romania (tire-manufacturer), Cord Romania (steel cord for tires), and Benteler.
- Eugen Ionescu - playwright
- Ion Minulescu- poet, writer and journalist
- Nicolae Titulescu - diplomat, Foreign Affairs minister and President of League of Nations
- Spiru Vergulescu - painter
- Monica Niculescu - tennis player
- Aurelia Brădeanu - handball player
- Adriana Ţăcălie - handball player